Westdale Secondary School
Originally constructed in 1930 and at that time billed as the largest composite school building in the British Empire, the 23,225 m2 structure has long been the flagship school of the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board.
Although 2 major additions had been constructed prior to 1980, our firm was retained to design and review construction of the first major renovations to the building since its original construction. The scope of the first phase of upgrades included a complete window replacement, strategic air-conditioning, building code-compliant retrofits of existing balcony guards, barrier-free accessibility improvements, and cafeteria renovations.
Given the historic nature of and intense community connection to the existing building, renovations were determined in consultation with a large building committee including representation from the School Board Physical Plant, school administration, teachers, parents and students. Full-scale mock-ups were used extensively to test and modify preliminary design proposals until committee consensus could be achieved.
Located: Hamilton, Ontario
Client: Hamilton Wentworth District School Board
Architect: Garwood-Jones & Hanham
Partner-In-Charge: Ross Hanham